Nantucket Cottage Hospital Hospital Pharmacist - Full Time in Nantucket, Massachusetts
Unique opportunity for a pharmacist with the required skill set. Nantucket Cottage Hospital is a small rural hospital 30 miles off the coast of Massachusetts on the island of Nantucket. We opened our brand-new hospital in February of 2019. The pharmacy department is complete with a USP-compliant sterile compounding suite. Our pharmacists experience great professional satisfaction and quality of life. As respected members of our NCH care team, pharmacists participate in all aspects of patient care for our island residents and visitors.
Performs a wide variety of Pharmacist duties including drug purchasing, distribution, CSP preparation, drug information, order entry and review. Works with pharmacy team on departmental projects and with inter-disciplinary team on hospital-wide projects. Patient education and rounding with medical team, participation in professional staff education and orientation.
_Essential Job Duties and Responsibilities_
- After training, if necessary, performs Sterile compounding (Hazardous and non-Hazardous) adhering to USP <797>, <800> and all Mass BORP regulations. Performs media-fills and gloved fingertip sampling and demonstrates all competencies required for sterile compounding.
- Ensures all CSPs are prepared according to appropriate best practice.
- Responds to codes, rapid responses, and any announced emergencies.
- Reviews, prepares and dispenses medication in accordance with department policies and procedures.
- Evaluates each medication order for correct drug strength, dose, method of administration and dosing interval.
- Resolves medication order problems and non-formulary drug issues in accordance with departmental policies and procedures. Reviews each patient’s current orders for potentially clinically significant drug interactions.
- Reviews and assists with medication reconciliation. Resolves problems with profiles in a timely manner.
- Conveys appropriate recommendations to nursing and medical team.
- Works with the administrative, medical, nursing and ancillary staffs to maintain pharmacy services to meet the needs of the Hospital. Participates in the Hospital’s in-service programs as needed. Provides for dissemination of pertinent drug information to Hospital staff and patients as required.
- Documents receipts and dispositions of controlled substances in accordance with federal and state laws and regulations and according to departmental policies and procedures.
- Prepares and delivers controlled substances in accordance with departmental policies and procedures.
- Conducts controlled substances audits and inventories in accordance with federal, state laws and regulations.
- Maintains appropriate records regarding medications as required by law (i.e., DEA, MDPH MIIS, 340b, etc).
- Orders, receives and stores medications and supplies in accordance with departmental policies and procedures.
- Assists in establishing, implementing and updating department policies and procedures.
- Organizes daily operational duties, recognizing patient care as the number one priority.
- Oversees Pharmacy Department in accordance with federal and state laws and regulations.
- Maintains confidentiality of patient information in accordance with Hospital policy and applicable statutes and regulations.
- Supports the mission and values of Nantucket Cottage Hospital
_Essential Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities Required for the Position_
- Must be able to demonstrate adequate technical skills, knowledge, and judgment to function unsupervised during on-call, second shift, and weekend hours.
- Ability to tactfully communicate with both internal and external customers.
- Ability to handle stress and work in emergency situations.
- Ability to stand and walk constantly.
- Ability to lift between one (1) and twenty-five (25) pounds.
- Ability to bend, twist, crouch, squat, pull, push, reach, and remain stationary for short period of times and perform repetitive motions.
- Frequent bending, twisting, crouching, squatting, pulling, pushing, and reaching required, as well as the ability to remain stationary for short periods and perform repetitive motions
- Ability to use hands, fingers, arms and wrists, hearing, smell, visual, and verbal skills are required in order to perform job duties.
- Utilize face shields/mask, gloves, personal protective clothing, safety glasses and all PPE.
- Perform Sterile Compounding (Hazardous and non-Hazardous) adhering to USP <797>, <800>and all Mass BORP regulations. Performs media-fills and gloved fingertip sampling and demonstrates all competencies required for sterile compounding.
_Credentials and Experience Required___
- Bachelor’s Degree (minimum) in Pharmacy required.
- Prior Licensed RPh experience of at least (2) years OR 1-year residency required.
- Hospital experience preferred.
- Current, valid Massachusetts Board of Registration in Pharmacy License required.
- Prior hospital pharmacy experience with sterile compounding preferred.
- Although the position generally works the day shift; evening shift assignments, as well as rotating on-call for nights, weekends, and holidays, are required.
- May be exposed to the following hazards:normal hospital environment, noise, chemotherapeutic, hazardous and non-hazardous pharmaceutical substances.
- Must be available to respond to work in the case of a Hospital declared emergency.
Organization: *Nantucket Cottage Hospital (NCH)
Title: Hospital Pharmacist - Full Time
Location: MA-Nantucket-NCH Nantucket Cottage Hospital
Requisition ID: 3181380